2017 WWAAC Asian Community Business Leadership Award
Shiv Aggarwal has been actively serving his community for the last 34 years in the USA. Along with starting his own real estate business, Shiv has created a foundation bringing the Indian community together in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Atlanta, Georgia. From founding the first and only indoor South Asian mall in North America to leading numerous cultural and nonprofit organizations, Shiv focuses his energy, time and finances on supporting the South Asian community in the U.S. and Atlanta, Georgia.
Global Mall, First & only indoor South Asian mall in North America
Founded in 2001
As the first indoor South Asian mall in North America, Global Mall holds community at its heart and core. Shiv founded the mall to bring people of all backgrounds together to learn and experience the rich Indian culture. The mall serves as a community center with everything under one roof including temples, dance & music academies, learning centers, a yoga studio, banquet halls, a food court and full service Indian restaurant along with jewelry, clothing, gift, Ayurvedic and homeopathic stores.
- Over 300,000 people visit Global Mall annually from all cultural and religious backgrounds
- Global Mall serves as an avenue for South Asians to start new ethnic businesses and today has over 60 unique retailers and organizations
- To further promote the Indian culture, Global Mall started and hosts Global Mela, a free annual weekend Festival of Lights & Eid carnival to celebrate, share and promote this beautiful festival. This past October, the 13th annual mela attracted over 15,000 people to the mall
- Global Mall has hosted several Indian dignitaries & religious leaders including Baba Ramdev, Sri Sri Ravishankar, Amma Krauna Ma, Cabinet Minister Honorable Subramanian Swamy, the Ambassador of India to the United States, Nirupama Rao, for which a banquet for 350 Indian leaders was held, a welcome reception for the Consulate General of India, Mr. Ajit Kumar, countless actors, singers and artists in Bollywood and Tollywood, etc.
- Additionally, the mall hosts political and community leaders from the United States, including the Mayor of Norcross, the Mayor of Atlanta, the Governor of Georgia, Congressman and Senators
- Global Mall is home to a free health clinic for the needy ,run by the Georgia Indian American Physicians Association
Shiv is passionate about his community and supports numerous cultural heritage and non-profit organizations through his time, energy, ideas and finances. A few major organizations include but are not limited to:
- Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation – Atlanta Chapter President, 2009-Present
- Ekal is the largest, grassroots, non-government education focused non-profit organization that brings basic education to & helps develop rural India
- The Atlanta Chapter is supporting 500 One Teacher One Classroom Schools providing education to ~20,000 students
- Vishwa Hindu Parishad of America – Governing Council Member, 1996-2001, Atlanta Chapter President, 1991-1995
- Balvihar Hindi School – Atlanta Founder, 1998
- Balvihar Hindi School is a an educational language program of VHPA educating and promoting Hindi language & Hindu cultural heritage & religion
- Today, over 300 children attend Balvihar of Atlanta learning about Hinduism, Indian culture & Hindi
- Gwinnett Village Community Improvement District (CID) – Founder & Chairman, 2006-Present
- Gwinnett Village CID is a local area improvement organization bringing communities growth, safety, etc.
- Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce – Board Member
- Rotary Club of North Druid Hill, Atlanta –Past President
- Married to Anushi Aggarwal in 1984 with 3 children, Aarti, Vandana & Vishal
- Shiv’s children are also serving the community through volunteering time by consulting with Ekal Vidyalaya, leading tutoring programs and dedicating time to environmental beautification programs, etc.